Sunday, May 1, 2011

6-12-6 Spread with The Fairy Tale Tarot

I'm breaking all my own rules, and it's fun!  I'm posting a reading I did three days ago from the deck I wasn't supposed to start using until today.
I used a three card spread that I started using to get familiar with an oracle deck, The Shaman Wisdom Cards. 

I wanted to get a general impression for each card in the deck before I started asking questions.  I would pull out cards that had been drawn until I went through the whole deck.

It began as a standard daily Morning-Afternoon-Evening spread, where I'd find time during that part of the day to study or just spend a few moments reflecting on the card.  This was so therapeutic for me I decided to keep using it after I'd gone through the whole deck. 

It evolved to being a more specific time for each card.  At night in bed, I would draw three cards for the next day.  Two of the cards are for 6 hours of the day and one is for 12 hours. 
Card 1: 6am-12pm
Card 2: 12pm to 6pm
Card 3: 6pm to 6am. 


This spread motivates me to take a Tarot/Oracle Time Out.  If I hadn't done it spontaneously, I'd make a point of it when I noticed the time.  This spread also helps me get out of or avoid altogether a 9 of Swords type situation.  Its like I’m using the card the way a woman would use a focus object during labor.  It doesn't stop my nasty midnight thought-loops completely, but it does help me ride them out and break the self-perpetuating cycle that makes it so much worse.

That's the reason I named this blog Midnight Tarot. Often I find myself awake in the middle of the night for various reasons.  Instead of counting sheep, I play tarot games in my head.

Since I didn't buy Lisa Hunt's Fairy Tale Tarot deck for doing predictive readings I thought it would work well for this spread.  This is a beautiful deck and I'm fascinated with fairy tales and enjoy reading ones from different cultures.  That's what this deck is all about. During the day I would stop and read the story from the book out loud to the kids.  At times they would sit and listen, mostly they'd quietly play or draw while I read.
Here are the cards I pulled:

Card1: 2 of Swords
Story: Snow Daughter & Fire Son
Culture: Russian
Keywords: Opposing Forces, Stalemate
 Lesson I picked up from the story: over-reaction to energy or ideas that conflict with mine (i.e. kids that want to run around and shout before I've had my morning coffee) will cause a complete breakdown in communication and nobody wins.  For now a temporary truce is best.

Card 2: 10 of Cups
Story: The Girl Fish
Culture: Spanish
Keywords: Dreams fulfilled, Peace
Lesson I picked up from the story: Take the afternoon to enjoy my life and the people in it.  Sharing the things I take pleasure in with loved ones.  And doing things they enjoy with them.

Card3: Queen of Cups
Story: Sealskin
Culture: Irish
Keywords: Loving, Intuitive
Lesson I picked up from the story:  Take some time tonight for myself, writing in my journal or playing with my cards.  I don’t want to become cut off from my true nature. Being compassionate and loving to my inner self will “strengthen my love and compassion for others.”


What I'm Reading Now

What I'm Reading Next